Scribes Valley Publishing Company
Publishing Contract (Short Story)
This contract is made between Scribes Valley Publishing Company, whose address is PUBLISHER ADDRESS, hereafter referred to as the Publisher, and AUTHOR NAME, whose address is AUTHOR ADDRESS, hereafter referred to as the Author.
The parties agree as follows:
1. The Author grants permission to include his/her story STORY TITLE
, a work of approximately STORY LENGTH
words, hereafter referred to as the Work, in ANTHOLOGY NAME
an anthology to be published by the Publisher, hereafter referred to as the Anthology.
2. This use of the Work by the Publisher entails the assignment of First World Anthology Rights, for publication in the English language anywhere in the world. It is also understood and agreed that the Publisher may use this Work only in the above-mentioned Anthology--both paperback and electronic editions--and re-printings of it, and that the Author shall retain all other rights to the Work not specified here.
3. For the rights granted above, in addition to any prize money (if applicable), the Author will receive one (1) copy of the Anthology, which will be mailed within thirty (30) days of publication of the Anthology. Author also may purchase additional copies at a reduced rate of 25% (plus shipping and handling) off the cover price.
Author's Warranties, Representations and Indemnities
4. The Author represents and warrants that he/she is the sole author of the Work, that the Work is original, and that no one has reserved the rights granted in this agreement. The author also represents, to the best of his/her knowledge, that the Work contains no matter unlawful in its content, nor does it violate the rights of any third party; that the rights granted in this contract are free and clear; and that the Author has full power to grant such rights to the Publisher.
The Author further warrants that any and all works submitted under this contract are not in the public domain and are not and have never been published in paper or any other format with any publishing company that may still own proprietary right to the Work.
The Author agrees to hold Publisher harmless and indemnify it from all damages, costs, and expenses directly resulting from a finally sustained judgment relating to any legal actions incurred by the Author arising from a breach of the above warranties.
No Competing Publication
5. In the case of a First World Anthology Rights assignment, the Author agrees not to publish or permit others to publish this Work in any form prior to its publication and appearance in the above named Anthology and for the first thirty (30) days after the appearance of the Anthology.
Changes in Text or Title
6. The Publisher will make no major alterations to the Work's text or title without the Author's written approval. The Publisher reserves the right to make minor copy-editing changes.
7. The Publisher agrees to list a proper copyright notice for the work in the name of the Author on the first page of the published story.
8. The Author will be credited on the table of contents and at the beginning of the story as: AUTHOR NAME
9. This agreement shall be deemed executed under the laws of the state of Tennessee, United States of America. Tennessee State Law shall be the applicable law of this agreement.
Reversion of Rights
10. In the event that the above-mentioned anthology has not been published within four (4) months of signing of this agreement, all rights revert to the Author, and the Author has the right to sell or arrange for publication of the above-named Work in any manner.